Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday, August 4, 2008, AM

Today is the official opening day of the conference. I finished my breakfast and left for my walk to the convention center at 7:45 AM and arrived here in about 15 minutes. The walk was not as pleasant as yesterday, because the day is already very muggy :-( There are a LOT more people on the streets today because most of attendees probably arrived yesterday evening or later. I think they are expecting about 15,000 attendees this year (dwarfed by Comic Con's 100,000+ just a couple of weeks ago at this same center).

The plenary session will run today from 8:30 until 3:30. Many legends of GIS, including Jack Dangermond, the founder and owner of the company will speak. This is their big marketing blitz, when they go all out to impress the GIS world with their latest software products. The show is really impressive, and most of the 15,000 attendees are expected to be here in this massive hall this morning! I'm looking forward to this session, and especially the keynote speakerDr. Peter Raven, is a world famous botanist (you can do a wiki or google search for his name if you want to know more about him).

I will try to go drumming in the evening. The studio is kind of far away and I will attempt to get there on the bus, so it should be an adventure. Tell you more later.

Ok, I'll resume writing during a break later in the day...

No comments: